brownbetty: (Default)
[personal profile] brownbetty

I'm sick to the point where I get light-headed folding laundry, so I said on twitter I would do a post explaining all those Chinese fandoms. Obviously, I cannot explain "all" those Chinese fandoms, this is an overview of Chinese fandoms that have an English-language presence that I am aware of.

Chinese Fandoms

So maybe you’re like, what are all these Chinese language canon fandoms that are popping up? Maybe you’ve heard of Guardian or Nirvana in Fire or The Untamed. These are three different Chinese language media offerings that have really only one thing in common: they are all adapted from self-published web-novels that were originally posted on BL (boy-love, analogous to slash) forums.

In order of objectively (I don’t think fans will disagree?) highest to lowest quality, it’s definitely Nirvana in Fire on top, and Guardian on bottom, and not coincidentally, that is probably the way their respective budgets were disbursed too. The other non-coincidence is that NIF, despite being posted on a BL forum, has very little (none? I don’t read Chinese so keep in mind this is all me reporting what I ~heard~) actual m/m content so it suffered least under censorship.

In order of beautiful men gazing meaningfully at each other, I’m going to say its a tie.

(aside: The Untamed is sometimes referred to as CQL, a reference to the chinese title, “Chén qíng lìng”, and the novel is sometimes referred to as MDZS (Mó Dào Zǔ Shī), partly because early translators couldn’t agree on a title translation. You will sometimes see the novel referred to as either Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation or Founder of Diabolism. The other properties are slightly less confusing, although Nirvana in Fire is a apparently a title made up for English release and completely unrelated to the Chinese title, Lángyá Bǎng.)

All of these writers released and revised their novels online as they wrote them, such that there is often no one “canonical” version, even before you get to translation. In addition, some of them were censored post-facto when they gained popularity, as they came to attention for ‘obscenity.’ Some of them have multiple competing translations (sometimes for only a couple of chapters!)

When you talk about “adaption” of any of these, you’re also talking about censorship, which is its own topic. Chinese censorship is a bit baffling, and seemingly unevenly enforced (which may the point: hard to go right up to the line if the line keeps moving) so that any amount of subtext seems to be fine, but seemingly innocuous subjects are verboten. Most censorship is more properly ‘self-censorship.’ The producers have some idea what will and won’t fly, so the story is adapted to meet the known objections of the state. Web-novels are not subject to the same level of scrutiny as dramas.

But what about the gay, you may want to know? This is honestly the least censored, in some respect. Since you cannot show sex or sweaty makeouts onscreen anyway, those scenes disappear, you get rid of the overt flirting, and you’re left with subtext which the filmmakers are definitely not doing by accident. Heavy, heavy, subtext. The actors gaze into each others’ eyes, quite a bit, but honestly the narrative structure does a lot of heavy lifting. Each of the mentioned stories has a plot which could be, on some ludicrously simple level described as “local man decides to dedicate his life working for other guy’s welfare.”

Okay, but is it in English?

All of these are to some degree available in English, primarily because of tireless fan-translators. The easiest to find is The Untamed, because it is on Netflix, although the translation there is a little unambitious.

If you’re interested in translations of the underlying novels, Novel Updates.com is a good place to start. Since the novels are huge endeavours, novel translations are often done piecemeal, a chapter at a time by different members of a team. As a result, they can be a little challenging to read when translation choices or even names shift and change as you read.

Nirvana in Fire

There's no full translation of the novel, but [personal profile] sartorias points to Langya Scribe which has translated some of it.

The only one I can say is objectively “good”, NiF is the story of this Chinese Count of Monte Cristo who returns to the Emperor’s court unrecognized, and with the help of friends and allies, sets in motion a chain of events to destroy those who orchestrated the downfall of his family, and bring his once BFF to power as the next Emperor. It's got a large cast, nearly all the actors are great, it has great roles for women.

NIF also has the best plotting; when you get to the bottom of a triple-fake-out, you’re not like, “wait a second, but that doesn’t make sense…” like some of J.J. Abrams spy game. Instead, now everything makes sense. (Except some of the laws of physics and medicine. See “wuxia” below.)

Shippiness

I might be the wrong one to ask. I watched the whole thing and came away shipping the het rarepair, but most people ship Master Manipulator/BFF who doesn’t recognize him.

Production Values

The costumes and sets and stuff are beautiful. Could watch it just for the hats and hairpieces, on some level. My only nitpick would be that until I watched this I never noticed that everyone’s hairline is different and helps define their face, and apparently NiF bought their wigs in bulk so everyone has the exact same hairline and it’s weird.

Watching

This show throws a lot of characters at you fast, and although you will pick it up as you go, you may be tempted to look for character guides. If you do, be very careful, as spoilers abound, and a character guide can spoil you for a major twist just by labelling someone “so-and-so’s mother” or “this person’s son [deceased].”

If you're looking for dubs, they're on Viki.com, but the subs have disappeared. You can find some subs on Dailymotion, although these are not the ones I watched, I don't think so I can't speak for the team.

Guardian

The original text is not fully translated, but you will find partial translations and summaries up on the web. (partial translation of Guardian and information about it here.) Guardian also has the wackiest adaption. Because depicting supernatural elements in the modern era is not okay, Guardian, a novel about the spook-enforcement agency in a modern (but made up) city, has had to do some wild contortions where all the spooks are actually aliens who just happen to resemble spooks of legend, and all the magic is psychic powers. Because you can’t have supernatural beings, the fact that these characters knew each other long ago in the past is now explained with time-travel rather than supernatural longevity. The the bureau chief of the (not) supernatural enforcement bureau, meant to keep the underworld shenanigans on the down low, is smitten with local university prof who hides a secret. (The secret is that he’s the powerful Envoy from Underground. This is not particularly a spoiler.)

Disclaimer: I have not watched much Guardian, because the CGI is so bad, you guys. So bad. Apparently it gets worse as it goes on, too, but I didn’t make it.

Shippiness

The gay is very nearly textual, within the limits of censorship. I think it has a sad ending that everyone pretends didn’t happen?

Production Values

Not… great.

Watching

God bless and good luck. ETA: [x.com profile] bokglobulia provides a link to Guardian on Youtube.

Commenters link to some edited subs in the comments.

The Untamed

The underlying text is MDZS, which is the story of this one talented cultivator who learns how to harness ‘demonic energy’, which allows him to control spirits including the unquiet dead, and the nerd cultivator who loves him. In the background are two political upheavals, a serial killer, some very cute kids, and one Very Bad Dad.

CQL is the same, except for “love” replace “admire” and for “undead” replace… it’s not very clear? But the show does want you to know that he’s definitely not corpse-wrangling. He’s… doing some other thing. Not corpse-puppetry.

Shippiness

Very. All the explicit declarations of love are just replaced with music-videos where the main pairing play a duet.

Production Values

Okay. The CGI is not great, but there are entire episodes with no CGI. The keep everyone’s hair up in the same hairstyle so they don’t have to redo their wigs, with the result that we’re meant to believe that everyone sleeps with a pound of jewellery in their updo. Occasionally you’ll see a zipper on someone’s hanfu.

Watching

The story starts, and then a 34 episode long flashback begins. Some people recommend starting, skipping the flashback episodes, and then coming back to them at the end for context. IDK, I read the novel first which interleaves past and present so skipping is harder.


MXTX

MXTX (Mò Xiāng Tóngxiù) has written only one of the sources discussed above, but her web-novels are the most completely translated. She has also written some un-adapted novels, “The Scum Villain’s Self-Saving System” (SVSS) and “Heaven Official’s Blessing” (TGCF) (why are some abbreviated in English and others in Pinyin? IDK) as well as the one adapted into The Untamed, “Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation” (MDZS). What you need to know about MXTX is that she writes from the id.

She’s really outstanding at writing a looong novel that hangs together, balancing a huge cast of characters and keeping them all memorable, and the slow burn.

She’s not great at writing women, especially who survive to the end of the novel, although in her novels to date there’s an upward trend?

If I were making an MXTX bingo card, it would probably include:

  • background gore
  • foreground gore
  • one or more of OTP dead for all or part of the novel/their relationship
  • coffin-groping
    • that is, groping, in a coffin.
  • someone is like, “Whew, thank goodness this innocent child is Too Young to understand what is happening.”
    • Meanwhile, innocent child is like “I just got hit by puberty like a sledgehammer, and I am going to have some Weird Kinks.”
  • big casts
  • badass woman, but she dead
  • one of them is holding a torch that can be seen from space, the other is like, “Why is he looking at me? What’s he up to?”
  • sex described sounds objectively unpleasant?
  • you can tell they’re OTP because one of them eats the other’s cooking
  • Someone’s reputation is blackened unjustly

All of MXTX’s stories are within the xianxia genre, which is a well established fantasy trope that she assumes her readers are familiar with and doesn’t explain too much. (Like many well established tropes, the details are not wholly consistent from one example to the next, so it may work slightly differently in different examples.). One of the things translators struggle with is coming up with ways of translating supernatural beings that don’t have English readers’ pre-conceptions laid over them. I struggle most with the term “faeries” because it makes me think of Cottingly-type faeries.

I don’t know if xianxia is responsible for the gore that I find very common in MXTX (someone’s going to get dismembered, maybe just in passing) or if that’s MXTX’s thing.

Scum Villain’s Self-saving System is both the funniest MXTX and the most eye-brow raising. The conceit is that the reader of a Chinese Xianxia harem-type web-novel finds himself sucked into the world of the novel– in the place of the villain. Since he knows that the villain comes to a terrible end, he works to avoid it. The catch is, it’s a very shitty webnovel, full of tropes, terrible plot contrivances, and a hilariously over-powered hero, and the transmigrated reader keeps getting shoved into all kinds of contrived situations, while swearing at them profusely. And why is the hero looking at him like that, does he suspect something?

SVSS is less of “I can see the author’s kinks” and more “An alphabetized compendium of author’s kinks, with footnotes.” It starts at student/teacher and goes all the way to… corpse-cuddling? There’s some fuck or die? I don’t know how to warn for everything, but like, the characters are satisfied with the situation re: consent, but the author is very interested in the tropes of non-consent.

Although The Untamed (CQL) has some hilarious attempts to explain the tv adaptation in a way that isn’t “this one gay nerd has a real bad crush, and his crush gets caught up in politics and dies. But then he comes back,” that’s the core. Unlike the tv show, Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation is willing to allow for straight up Necromancy. (I mean, what would be necromancy in an English cultural context. But it’s definitely willing to raise the dead). The gay is quite explicit too, although sometimes in ways that seem… like the ‘you tried… but did you?’ representation of mainstream English media in the mid nineties.

MDZS is slightly more “gotta keep the kinks under the table” although both the author and the characters are interested in non-con fantasies. [personal profile] skygiants write up of Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation goes more in depth on the novel’s charms and some caveats.

Heaven Official’s Blessing, an apostrophe that just will not stay where its put, is about a character who builds his spiritual power until he ascends to godhood– and then immediately fails out because he can’t obey the rules. Then he ascends again… and crashes again. This is the story of his third time. (Although by the time you go through all the flashbacks, you’ll have covered the whole territory.) Heaven Official’s Blessing is the fluffiest, although you cannot say it is warning free, the two main characters are really secure in each others’ affections and just really supportive of each other. But also there’s a background level of horror and gore. [personal profile] alias_sqbr has a much more complete guide to Heaven Official’s Blessing, including warnings and links

Wuxia vs. Xianxia

Wuxia
Think “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” if you’ve never encountered it before. A well established genre with its own tropes which may vary slightly in different implementations. The main genre convention is that martial artists are exaggeratedly powerful.
Xianxia
Wuxia + fantastical aspects. Ghosts, demons, and gods. Martial artists’ power levels can go completely off the chain, cultivating spiritual disciplines until they can fly, or even achieve immortality.

This post has been edited several times to add links to material brought to my attention in the comments.

Date: 2020-01-05 05:24 am (UTC)
everbright: Eclipse of Saturn (Default)
From: [personal profile] everbright
THANK YOU. God I've had such a hard time figuring put ppl are talking about re:these chinese webnovels.

Date: 2020-01-05 08:41 am (UTC)
libitina: Wei Yingluo from Story of Yanxi Palace in full fancy costume holding a gaiwan and sipping tea (Default)
From: [personal profile] libitina
Nice! This looks like a very solid primer. I'm not yet at the point of branching out beyond MDZS/CQL, but I've been trying to track what to watch next. You know, once I finish the animated version, and the audio version, and researched them all again for good measure.

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] libitina - Date: 2020-01-05 08:13 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2020-01-05 10:28 am (UTC)
ratcreature: What? Who? When? Yes, I have been living under a rock... (under a rock)
From: [personal profile] ratcreature
This is quite helpful. Also, I had no idea that modern era magic was objectionable to censors. Is that only for Chinese productions or is it disliked in imports too? I guess in Harry Potter the wizards are a little separate from the modern muggles, but what about something like Twilight?

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ratcreature - Date: 2020-01-05 05:03 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ratcreature - Date: 2020-01-05 05:50 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] feklar42 - Date: 2020-01-10 08:39 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2020-01-05 09:45 pm (UTC)
staranise: A star anise floating in a cup of mint tea (Default)
From: [personal profile] staranise
I've read a lot about how the latest Star Wars movie was supposed to feature a bunch of Jedi Force-ghosts, and they shot a TON of footage for it, and Disney cut it without the director's knowledge because Chinese censors are Not Okay with that many ghosts. So yeah, they censor stuff coming into the country, and it's important enough that Western content producers are beginning to tailor their work for the Chinese market.

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] ratcreature - Date: 2020-01-05 11:07 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] feklar42 - Date: 2020-01-10 09:40 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2020-01-05 02:43 pm (UTC)
stultiloquentia: Campbells condensed primordial soup (Default)
From: [personal profile] stultiloquentia
Oh, this is super. Highly entertaining to read, even the parts I knew already.

Date: 2020-01-05 03:04 pm (UTC)
grimmhill: (Default)
From: [personal profile] grimmhill
Just another person who wants to say Thank You. The CQL references in the Untamed fandom were very confusing since I am just starting out. Very useful write up.

Date: 2020-01-05 03:57 pm (UTC)
marginaliana: Buddy the dog carries Bobo the toy (Default)
From: [personal profile] marginaliana
Thank you kind soul for this thorough write up because omg I have been seeing all this stuff and having no clue what it was about other than Dudes Pining, which does not really narrow it down. I am sure I will be coming back to this, to be honest!

Also: "Heaven Official’s Blessing, an apostrophe that just will not stay where its put" - nice :D

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] skygiants - Date: 2020-01-05 05:59 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2020-01-05 05:03 pm (UTC)
tassosss: Shen Wei Zhao Yunlan Era (Default)
From: [personal profile] tassosss
This is a great write up! On Guardian, the production values are indeed not great, but for me the chemistry of the two leads is so strong that it didn't bother me. Guardian is also available on Amazon prime and there's a link to downloads with better subs than Youtube done by [personal profile] solo on the [community profile] sid_guardian comm.

Novel links are also there, or you can ask for folks to point you to them. For the novel, the Wattpad translation got taken down, but there's a google folder with Chapters 1-82 and that the current translators are using to share as they do the rest of it. I think it's up to 93.

Novel info
Info on version with better subs (also better than Amazon's subs)

Date: 2020-01-15 04:53 am (UTC)
china_shop: Close-up of Zhao Yunlan grinning (Default)
From: [personal profile] china_shop
and there's a link to downloads with better subs than Youtube done by [personal profile] solo on the [community profile] sid_guardian comm

I was going to say that, too. *high-fives you* [personal profile] solo's starter pack (video files and revised subs) is here. :-)

Date: 2020-01-05 06:42 pm (UTC)
benbenberi: (Default)
From: [personal profile] benbenberi
Is there currently a place where I can send US people to watch Nirvana in Fire with English subtitles? Because last I checked, Viki still has only the dubbed version available here, and most of the Engsubs on YouTube are also geolocked now. Makes it very hard to pimp the show properly!

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] rivkat - Date: 2020-01-07 07:47 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] rivkat - Date: 2020-01-08 02:57 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2020-01-06 12:01 am (UTC)
afrikate: Ray Kowalski is getting his geek on, with his clip on shades flipped up (Default)
From: [personal profile] afrikate
Thank you so much! I just started watching the Untamed and this gives me the tools to make sense of it.

Date: 2020-01-06 05:51 am (UTC)
satsuma: a whole orange, a halved grapefruit, and two tangerine sections arranged into a still life (Default)
From: [personal profile] satsuma
Your guardian description is spot on, tbh so good job on your fandom osmosis there.

Also, I started cackling at “sex described sounds objectively unpleasant?” on your bingo card bc it’s so true

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] satsuma - Date: 2020-01-07 02:06 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2020-01-09 02:00 am (UTC)
sami: (Default)
From: [personal profile] sami
"sex described sounds objectively unpleasant?"

THANK YOU.

I'm ahead of a friend on the novel, and told her than, and her response was, "You're ace and you always think that" and I'm over here trying to find a way to say NO THIS IS NOT JUST ME THE SEX SCENES IN THIS ARE TERRIBLE.

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] sami - Date: 2020-01-10 12:41 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] feklar42 - Date: 2020-01-10 10:10 pm (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] feklar42 - Date: 2020-01-22 02:39 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2020-01-10 05:35 pm (UTC)
tabacoychanel: (Default)
From: [personal profile] tabacoychanel
this was so helpful, internet stranger, and also punchy af. i was grinning all the way through your rundown. the format of cql didn't work for me and i started reading mzds instead...in chinese, which is why it's slow going, but i have finally gotten to the point where I'm confident I won't DNF it. if i had read your primer first and realized mxtx has a direct line to her own id that would have helped me get my bearings sooner, i think. i am validated in having avoided guardian fandom up to this point, and i will definitely give nirvana in fire a whirl

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] feklar42 - Date: 2020-01-10 10:22 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2020-01-15 04:54 am (UTC)
china_shop: The Guardian Lantern with the words 'HALF FULL.' (Guardian - lantern half full)
From: [personal profile] china_shop
I think it has a sad ending that everyone pretends didn’t happen?

Not everyone! (Please pardon my pedantry. :-)

Date: 2020-01-15 10:14 am (UTC)
solo: SW and ZYL with the Longevity dial (GD hands)
From: [personal profile] solo
Oh, I like that icon!

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] china_shop - Date: 2020-01-15 07:59 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2020-01-15 04:10 pm (UTC)
sartorias: (Default)
From: [personal profile] sartorias
This is a terrific rundown. There is a partial translation of Nirvana in Fire here. It's not nearly as good as the show, imo (even allowing for the expected errors of ESL but it does have more blatant m/m tropiness, including lots of descriptions of the boyz' beautiful eyelashes and hair, and lots of hugging and patting and sleeping next to each other. The show cut out the female characters who are flat/don't really do anything for the story, and tightened the whole.

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] sartorias - Date: 2020-01-15 06:24 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2020-05-04 04:55 am (UTC)
blueberry_ash: "Cake and grief counselling will be available at the conclusion of the test". (misc • gaming; cake and counseling)
From: [personal profile] blueberry_ash
This post is, like... pretty old... and I'm running a complete blank on how I ended up here in the first place (a rec? I don't remember; I have too many tabs open), but I just... "sex described sounds objectively unpleasant" just made me feel so relieved to read. I'm into reading all kind of shit, but what I've read so far in the MDZS novel just... causes me great discomfort. What the hell.

Basically, thank you for the accidental validation, I was starting to think I was missing something.

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] blueberry_ash - Date: 2020-05-05 01:24 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] blueberry_ash - Date: 2020-05-05 01:25 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2020-05-18 09:30 pm (UTC)
spatz: MCS on a boat playing a flute (NIF on a boat)
From: [personal profile] spatz
I tracked down this post for a friend who I'm getting hooked on NIF, and thought I'd supply some video links for those still searching - the full 54 eps are on dailymotion here, but I hate the dailymotion UI and their videos are English subs written over Chinese hardsubs so it's a little eye-hurting, so I've been watching most of them from YouTube here (which are all from Viki and still have that noted in the subs; they have some stray coding that broke but are still readable and timed correctly) and patch their gaps with the DM ones.

And I've got a little starter kit of helpful Tumblr posts over here. :)

(no subject)

From: [personal profile] spatz - Date: 2020-05-18 11:40 pm (UTC) - Expand

Profile

brownbetty: (Default)
brownbetty

April 2023

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
91011121314 15
16171819202122
23242526272829
30      

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags